Anglican Prayer Beads Workshop
Time & Location
About the Event
Please join our Anglican Prayer Bead Lenten workshop. Participants from area churches (and guests) are welcome. If you have materials and tools, please bring them. There will also be an additional limited supply of materials.
Please bring a sandwich for our potluck lunch. Soup and dessert will be provided.
Sources for Prayer Beads:
Anglican Prayer Beads are widely available. We recommend that you look at the Anglican Prayer Beads made by the Solitaries of DeKoven as this will support these Anglicans in their religious vocation.
There are also many options to choose from. You can also find them on eBay or Etsy. If you wish to make your own set, any craft store that has beading materials will be a resource.
Making your own set:
You need a cross, and either five larger beads and 28 smaller ones. Or the cross with one large bead in one style, four large beads in a second style and 28 smaller beads.
Materials Needed (and recommended sizes)
• 1 cross or other terminal charm
• 1 invitatory bead – size 10-12 mm. or larger
• 4 cruciform beads – size 8–10 mm.
• 28 weeks beads - size 6–8 mm.
• Spacer beads - seed beads in size 8 or 11
• Beading thread, such as Fireline or Nimo
• Size 10 beading needle
• Hypo cement or non-water soluble glue
• Small scissors
• Clothespin or small clamp, such as an alligator clip or an office binder clip
See this YouTube video for instructions.
For further information, we suggest you purchase one of the many books about Anglican prayer beads by Kristen E. Vincent, such as “A Bead and a Prayer”, or by other authors. You can also read more here.